Benefits of ZucchiniBesides being a prolific summer producer, zucchini is a super healthy and nutritious vegetable.
Zucchini is low in calories, with just 28 calories in one cup of cooked zucchini. It has 0 fat, and only 7 grams of carbohydrates. Zucchini is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, manganese, vitamin B6, and vitamin K.
Top 10 Uses For Zucchini
- A new and popular use for zucchini is as a stand-in for pasta noodles. Spiralized zucchini is a healthier option, and is super easy to make. The zucchini “noodles” absorb sauces and hold up well as a spaghetti substitute. Zucchini noodles can be cooked or served raw.
- Marinated zucchini is a fast and easy way to use excess zucchini. This marinated zucchini is like a quick pickle and it can be kept in jars in the refrigerator for many weeks: Easy Marinated Zucchini.
- A classic favorite for good reason, Zucchini Fritters are a must during the peak zucchini season. There are plentiful recipes on the internet, including this classic Zucchini Fritters and the Indian style Zucchini Pakora Fritters.
- Soups and stews chock full of zucchini are always delicious. This Spiralized Zucchini Vegetable Noodle Soup is hearty and filling, while this creamed Zucchini Garlic Soup is the perfect accompaniment to a meal. Zucchini Corn Chowder is also fantastic.
- Zucchini burgers are a fun option for using the extra garden bounty: White Bean Zucchini Burgers, Zucchini Burgers, and Chickpea Zucchini Burgers are a few yummy recipe options.
- Have you ever tried Zucchini Butter? This simple recipe makes a fabulous topping for toasted homemade bread. It's also wonderful as a sandwich condiment, pizza topping, or dip.
- Of course, any list must have a chocolate and zucchini recipe and this one is just divine. And, super simple to make: Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
- Zucchini Boats are always a fun dinner option; it's a great recipe for getting the kids involved in cooking, as well. The choice of stuffing is as broad as your taste buds. Give some of these a try to mix it up at supper time: Mexican Zucchini Boats, Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Quinoa and Pine Nuts, and Greek Zucchini Boats.
- This fascinating recipe uses zucchini in place of apples to make a Zucchini Dessert Crisp -- so versatile!
- If the zucchini harvest gets too overwhelming, you can always freeze it. It's quite easy to do and is an excellent way to save it for future use.
Fun Zucchini Facts
- Zucchini is actually a fruit, not a vegetable.
- Squash plants are originally from the Americas. However, the green zucchini wasn't developed until the late 1800's in Italy and then brought to North America in the early 1900's with Italian emigres.
- Zucchini flowers are edible, and excellent stuffed!
- National Zucchini Bread Day is April 25th.
Hopefully this list will have you looking forward to bumper crops of zucchini instead of dreading it! You may even find yourself disappointing the neighbors and not sneaking any onto their front porch. Zucchini is widely versatile vegetable, and a tasty, nutritious one at that, too.